Douglas says that from a young age, he understood that a rebellious nature lived within him and was fighting for his voice. He’s not afraid to be polarizing and unapologetically himself. That’s the driving force behind Heretic. The brand is an expression of his intense love of nature and is on a mission to show the provocative side of naturals and the dirty side of clean.
In this episode, Douglas sits down with Heather Hyatt, who runs social media at Scentbird. He breaks down his process for handcrafting fragrances that elicit a visceral and often erotic reaction. He takes us back to the day he met Gwyneth Paltrow and the story behind the This Smells Like My Vagina Candle, one of the creations he’s best known for, in collaboration with Goop.
• Growing up in San Fernando Valley
• What it means to be a rebel
• Perfumery studies and journey into fragrance
• The lightning strike start of Heretic
• Advice for those looking to follow their own path
• Meeting Gwyneth Paltrow on a hot NYC summer day
• How the This Candle Smells Like My Vagina candle came about
• How fragrance can do more than just smell good
• The holistic power of aromatherapy ingredients
• Scent Spotlight: Dirty Grass, Dirty Vanilla, & Dirty Coconut
• Scent Connection, Off-the-Wall Edition
• Douglas's biggest aspiration